Have you ever looked back at your basement and wondered that how can you utilized this space? In most of the houses the basement are nothing but dumping ground of your home. However, there are different ways in which one can finish and decorate their basement so that it becomes a part of your home and not just an addition of the home.
Even if you too are planning for basement finishing and looking way out about how to finish a basement then you can try out the different tips provided by expert architects. You need to learn about the problems that have to be resolved before you can finish basement.
Remember that your unfinished basement is like a blank canvas that needs your creative skill for getting colors on it! so you must be very careful while you get your basement done and take proper guide.
Thus, in order to help you out with your basement finishing here are certain help that will come handy when you start working behind your basement.
*The above links lead to current prices and customer reviews on Amazon.
When you start working for basement finishing you will need some guidance. There is no doubt that when you want to do it yourself some good books can be your best reference. Hence, when you choose the books that will guide you about the process to finish basement you need to consider a few points.
- The book should provide guidance about the different materials required
- The book must have the latest building codes so that you can use them while you do the work.
- The book should be able to provide you insight about the different processes that will be needed while you complete the work.
- There must be enough images in the book to let you understand everything clearly
- The book should help you complete a simple finished basement to a basement with multiple rooms.
- It must include quite a number of finished basement ideas.
Based on the different things that must be considered here I have reviewed some of the best books that are available for giving proper tutorial on finishing your basement. They are not just good source for finished basement ideas but will explain different DIY basement finishing techniques that will help you finish basement.
This is a paperback book of 240 pages written by Stanley that mainly deals with A to Z of basement finishing. It has given stretch on all the materials, tools and techniques that are required for finishing a basement.
It not only explains about different steps in completing your basement like from wall framing to installing finished floor, but also gives ideas about making the basement functional. It gives the reader idea about how can they convert their basement into bathrooms, recreation room or any other room.
- Everything is explained in details
- Provides necessary technical data so that it’s easy to complete the work
- There are simulated hyperlink that helps in gathering more information
- Although it has almost everything required for finishing your basement, you may not get idea on the cost to finish basement from this book.
This book is designed in two tiers that make it possible for one to understand the steps. Some may need help from another book, but in all I recommend this book to those who want to DIY and are trying basement finishing for the first time.
This fact filled book of 240 pages is filled with information that will help you design and plan your basement into a part of your home. This book is compiled by the editors of creative publishing who has gathered the best information related to finishing a basement yourself.
There are more than 600 color photographs and it explain in details about the problems that you may come across like climate and moisture control, ventilation, egress, lighting and other issues. It put importance on how can you convert your basement into a utility room of your home.
- This book has more than 600 photographs to provide clear idea.
- Includes featured projects like installing sump pumps, repairing foundation walls, insulating and others.
- It not only helps in conversion of basement but in basement refinishing too.
- A perfect guide for inspiration to completion.
- It is mainly for homes build after 1980s.
- It includes many things in details but misses out something too like exterior exhaust venting.
This book is ideal for showing the type of tools that will be required during the project and helps in planning and progressing with the whole project. In all it is a good book to work with.
This book is perfect companion for those who are interested in expanding their unused area into a comfortable zone of the home. Written by Roger German, this book provides a perfect guide for those planning to build their basement on their own.
There are step by step information, insider’s tips and expert advice on how can you convert your basement into your living area. And all these come with a whole number of photographs to make things crystal clear. You will get almost all basic construction techniques to complete your basement finishing project.
- A complete and comprehensive guide for those who want to learn about basement finishing.
- There is brand new content about egress windows
- Construction details are up dated as per the latest building codes.
- The best resource to get the job done at the very first try.
- Not a good reference for those who have knowledge about basement finishing and want to take it to better heights.
In my opinion if you are interested in learning how to finish your basement then it is a perfect companion that will guide you complete your work with ease.
How can you finish a basement?
Before you work on finishing your basement it is required that you do work in order to learn the different steps that is required for finishing the basement. A basement can be concerned with the latest building codes so you also must have idea about that.
What is it is necessary to follow latest building codes while finishing your basement?
When you are working for finishing your basement you must follow the latest building codes especially if you are doing some plumbing and electrical work that needs inspection from the municipality.
Why is it essential to have your basement finished?
Your basement is that unused portion of your home that is huge but is not utilized. Hence, it is important that when you are in need of extra space in your home you convert your basement into another room. It adds value to your home as well as your interiors.
What problems can be removed by finishing your basement?
Leaving your basement unnoticed for long may pose certain problems to your home foundation too. Hence, it is important that you get your basement finished. There are different problems that can be overcome by finishing your basement.
The problems are moisture on the walls may damage the walls, too much unused materials in the basement may make the place damp, water leakage and other problems.
Is insulation necessary while finishing you basement?
Yes, insulation is necessary as it has double benefit that includes controlling the temperature of your basement and moisture control. It also helps in reducing the sound that enters the basement from outside.
Having your basement finished is indeed a great investment. There are many DIY projects that can be undertaken by you to complete the basement and take it an attractive space within your home. In order to know more about basement finishing you can read the different books that will provide you proper insight about the steps to finishing your basement.
With the help of these books you will be able to know the best way to finish basement and add value to your home along with increasing the total space inside your home. A complete finished basement will add comfort, save energy and make your home healthier, all that you need is proper guidance.